Artists, photographers, and members of the general public have the option of producing the work themselves on LATITUDE's equipment with our oversight (the DIY/self-service/"you do it" option). They can also commission LATITUDE to produce the work for them (the service bureau/full-service/"we do it" option). Complete information about LATITUDE's self-service/DIY option is below, including our membership levels and production costs. To learn more about the lab in general, please visit the Lab Space page.
LATITUDE is a small arts nonprofit committed to providing you with the best possible production at the lowest possible costs. When you work with us your money goes towards our mission of supporting Chicago's creative community!
To produce your own work in the lab you will become a lab member! Our current daily membership levels are below. Members must supply their own data storage devices and are invited to bring their own paper and glassine. Alternatively, members can purchase a select number of papers through PAPERSTOCK To learn more about the lab's paper program, click HERE.
- Standard: $10 per day. For most everyone.
- Student: $5 per day. Provides a 25% discount on printing and scanning costs (please note that this doesn't include the drum scanning orientation workshop or materials like paper or glassine). Available to any and all current students.
- Recent Grad: $5 per day. Comes with a membership card that provides 7 discretionary days of a 50% discount on printing and scanning costs, and an ongoing 25% discount on printing and scanning costs (please note that these discounts don't apply to the drum scanning orientation workshop or materials like paper or glassine). Available to anyone who graduated in the past year with proof of graduation.
- Annual Membership: $2000 per year. Designed for heavy users employing assistants. All other membership levels are designed for individuals producing their own work. An annual member can have work produced for them by their staff or assistants at our Do-It-Yourself rates! Includes a personal flat file and paper roll storage.
There's a lot you can do in the lab, and there are different costs depending on what equipment you use. Below is a full breakdown of possible costs by equipment type. If you have questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that every Saturday from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM is Open Access Day at the lab, which means discounted printing costs (learn more here)!
17 Inch Printing
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 (2): $0.03 per square inch of image
Epson Stylus Pro 9890 (Vivid Magenta, 44 inches wide): $0.05 per square inch of image
Epson Stylus Pro 9800 (44 inches wide): $0.05 per square inch of image (experimental materials welcome! e.g. canvas, linen, aluminum...)
Canon PRO 4000 (44 inches wide): $0.06 per square inch of image)
Epson Stylus Pro 9900 with Piezography Ink: $0.06 per square inch of image (the highest-quality, and most-archival, digital black and white ink printing system ever invented; click here to learn more about Piezography)
Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner: complimentary
One-time Orientation + 3 Drum Scans: $200
After members receive an orientation, they can purchase drum scans individually or in discounted blocks of 10. The blocks of 10 expire six months after purchase if unused. A single drum can hold approximately: 25 35mm negatives; OR 4 4x5 negatives; OR 4-6 strips of medium format negatives; OR 1 large format 8x10 negative. This means that you could purchase a block of 10 drums at $250 and make approximately 250 35mm scans. That comes to... $1 per full-sized scan, or if you include the orientation price, $1.80 per scan. !!!
Single Drum of 35mm Negatives: $30 | Block of 10 Drums: $250
Single Drum of Medium/Large Format Negatives: $15 | Block of 10 Drums: $120
One-on-One Training Sessions
$50 per hour/$40 for Students and Recent Grads
DIY printing services are designed for members with prior experience inkjet printing from Adobe Photoshop. Members interested in an introduction or brushing up their skills may be interested in an hour of one-on-one training.
One-on-one sessions that can be tailored to your individual interests and needs, or selected from one of our current curriculums. If you are brand new to our space or a long-time user we can help develop your skills with Photoshop and Lightroom editing techniques, Introduction to Lightroom, Piezography PRO printing, optimizing specialty workflows, print/file viewing, and more!
Intro to Inkjet Printing - $65 - 1 1/2 hours
- Includes two free 8x10 prints
Intro to Piezography - $65 - 1 1/2 hours
- Required certification for use of the Piezography Pro 44" printer
- Includes two free 8x10 prints
Contact us at email@example.com for more details!
Flat file drawer and storage space for 1 roll of paper: $15/month (65" flat file $25/month)
Additional flat file: 50" $10/month (65" $15/month)
Additional paper roll: $10/month