Artists, photographers, and members of the general public have the option of producing the work themselves on LATITUDE's equipment with our oversight (the DIY/self-service/"you do it" option). They can also commission LATITUDE to produce the work for them (the service bureau/full-service/"we do it" option). Complete information about LATITUDE's self-service/DIY option is below, including our membership levels and production costs. To learn more about the lab in general, please visit the Lab Space page.
LATITUDE is a small arts nonprofit committed to providing you with the best possible production at the lowest possible costs. When you work with us your money goes towards our mission of supporting Chicago's creative community!
To produce your own work in the lab you will become a lab member! Our current daily membership levels are below. Members must supply their own data storage devices and are invited to bring their own paper and glassine. Paper is also available for purchase! Check out our PAPERSTOCK here!
- Standard: $10 per day. For everyone.
- Student: $5 per day. Provides a 25% discount on printing and scanning costs (Please note that this does not apply to materials such as paper or glassine or Service Bureau Production). Additional student rates are available for tutoring and workshops! Available to any and all current students.
- Recent Grad: $5 per day. Recent Grad Members will receive the GRAD GIFT of 1 day of 50% off all ink charges, 1 year of student rates on Daily Membership, 1 year of student rates for ink usage, tutoring, and workshops! Available to any and all recent graduates with proof of graduation date.
- Annual Membership: $2000 per year. Designed for heavy users employing assistants. All other membership levels are designed for individuals producing their own work. An annual member can have work produced for them by their staff or assistants at our Do-It-Yourself rates! Includes a personal flat file and paper roll storage.
- Former Artist-in-Residence: Free membership + 10% off ink costs
There's a lot you can do in the lab, and there are different costs depending on what equipment you use. Below is a full breakdown of possible costs by equipment type. If you have questions, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that every Saturday from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM is Open Access Day at the lab, which means discounted printing costs (learn more here)!
17 INCH PRINTING
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 (2): $0.03 per square inch of image
- 8x10: $2.40
- 11x14: $4.62
- 13x19: $7.41
- 16x20: $9.60
Epson Stylus Pro 9890 (Vivid Magenta, 44 inches wide): $0.05 per square inch of image
Epson Stylus Pro 9800 (44 inches wide): $0.05 per square inch of image (experimental materials welcome! e.g. canvas, linen, aluminum...)
- 8x10: $4.00
- 11x14: $7.70
- 13x19: $12.35
- 16x20: $16
- 20x24: $24
- 24x30: $36
- 30x40: $60
Canon PRO 4000 (44 inches wide): $0.06 per square inch of image)
Epson Stylus Pro 9900 with Piezography Ink: $0.06 per square inch of image
(the highest-quality, and most-archival, digital black and white ink printing system ever invented; click here to learn more about Piezography)
- 8x10: $4.80
- 11x14: $9.24
- 13x19: $14.82
- 16x20: $19.20
- 20x24: 28.80
- 24x30: $43.20
- 30x40: $72
- 40x50: $120
(2) Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner: complimentary with daily membership
One-time Orientation + 3 Drum Scans: $200
After members receive an orientation, they can purchase drum scans individually or in discounted blocks of 10. The blocks of 10 expire six months after purchase if unused. A single drum can hold approximately: 25 35mm negatives; OR 4 4x5 negatives; OR 4-6 strips of medium format negatives; OR 1 large format 8x10 negative. This means that you could purchase a block of 10 drums at $250 and make approximately 250 35mm scans. That comes to... $1 per full-sized scan, or if you include the orientation price, $1.80 per scan. !!
Single Drum of 35mm Negatives: $30 | Block of 10 Drums: $250
Single Drum of Medium/Large Format Negatives: $15 | Block of 10 Drums: $120
ONE-ON-ONE TRAINING SESSIONS
Individualized Tutoring(customizable to your needs): $50 per hour/$40 for Students and Recent Grads
One-on-one sessions can be tailored to your individual interests and needs, or selected from one of our current curriculums.
Intro to Inkjet Printing: $65 - 1 1/2 hours ($50 for Students/Recent Grads)
Includes two free 8x10 prints
Intro to Piezography - $65 - 1 1/2 hours ($50 for Students/Recent Grads) (Required certification for use of the Piezography Pro 44" printer)
Includes two free 8x10 prints
Contact us at email@example.com for more details!
Flat file drawer and storage space for 1 roll of paper: $15/month (65" flat file $25/month)
Additional flat file: 50" $10/month (65" $15/month)
Additional paper roll: $10/month