DIY LAB ACCESS
Artists, photographers, and members of the general public have the option of producing work themselves on LATITUDE's equipment with our oversight (the DIY/self-service/"you do it" option). They can also commission LATITUDE to produce the work for them (the service bureau/full-service/"we do it" option). Below is a full breakdown of possible costs using the self-service/DIY option, including our membership levels and production costs. To learn more about equipment offerings, please visit the Lab Space page.
LATITUDE is a small arts nonprofit committed to providing you with the best possible production at the lowest possible costs. When you work with us your money goes towards our mission of supporting Chicago's creative community!
Submit your DIY Appointment requests here.
View our full price guide here.
OPEN ACCESS SATURDAY
In order to keep the lab as accessible as possible, we offer specially discounted printing 1 day per week. And we call it... Open Access Saturday!
During Open Access Saturday, lab users receive 1/2 off all Ink Charges! (please note that this does not include PAPERSTOCK). Equipment reservations for Open Access Saturday can be made up to 2 week in advance. Reservations are limited to a single block of 4 hours, though lab users are free to continue working if no one else is waiting. We want this initiative to help make the lab accessible to all types of makers, including working artists.
To produce your own work in the lab you will pay a daily lab user fee. Day membership covers access to a workstation with our without an Epson flatbed
- Standard: $10 per day. For everyone.
- Student: $5 per day. Provides a 25% discount on printing and scanning costs (Please note that this does not apply to materials such as paper or glassine or Service Bureau Production). Additional student rates are available for tutoring and workshops! Available to any and all current students.
- Recent Grad: $5 per day. Recent Grad Members will receive the GRAD GIFT of 1 day of 50% off all ink charges, 1 year of student rates on Daily Membership, 1 year of student rates for ink usage, tutoring, and workshops! Available to all recent graduates with proof of graduation date.
- Annual Membership: $2000 per year. Designed for heavy users employing assistants. All other membership levels are designed for individuals producing their own work. An annual member can have work produced for them by their staff or assistants at our Do-It-Yourself rates! Includes a personal flat file and paper roll storage.
- Former Artist-in-Residence: Free membership + 10% off ink costs
All prices listed below are for standard members with no discounts applied.
(2) Epson Perfection V750-M Pro Scanner: Complimentary with daily membership
Optical Resolution of 6400 dpi x 9600 dpi
Kodak Creo Flatbed Scaner: $15/hr
Optical Resolution of 5,500 x 10,000 dpi
DRUM SCANNING (CERTIFICATION REQUIRED)
1-on-1 Drum Scan Training including 3 Drum mounts: $200
Certified users can purchase drum mounts individually or in discounted blocks of 10. The blocks of 10 expire six months after purchase if unused. A single drum can hold approximately: 25 35mm negatives; OR 4 4x5 negatives; OR 4-6 strips of medium format negatives; OR 1 large format 8x10 negative.
Single Drum of 35mm Negatives: $30
Block of 10 Drums: $250
Single Drum of Md/Lg Format Negatives: $15
Block of 10 Drums: $120
Flat file drawer and storage space for 1 roll of paper: $15/month (65" flat file $25/month)
Additional flat file: 50" $10/month (65" $15/month)
Additional paper roll: $10/month
17 INCH PRINTING
Epson Stylus Pro 4900 (2): $0.03 per square inch of image (See Sample Prices for common print sizes below)
- 8x10: $2.40
- 11x14: $4.62
- 13x19: $7.41
- 16x20: $9.60
Epson Stylus Pro P9000 (44 inches wide) & Canon PRO 4000 (44 inches wide): $0.05 per square inch of image area (See Sample Prices for common print sizes below)
- 13x19: $12.35
- 16x20: $16
- 20x24: $24
- 24x30: $36
- 30x40: $60
Epson Stylus Pro 9900 with Piezography Ink: $0.06 per square inch of image
(the highest-quality, and most-archival, digital black and white ink printing system ever invented; click here to learn more about Piezography)
- 8x10: $4.80
- 11x14: $9.24
- 13x19: $14.82
- 16x20: $19.20
- 20x24: 28.80
- 24x30: $43.20
- 30x40: $72
- 40x50: $12
ONE-ON-ONE TUTORING SESSIONS
Individualized Tutoring (customizable to your needs): $50 per hour/$40 for Students and Recent Grads
One-on-one sessions can be tailored to fit your individual interests and needs. Sessions can be arranged for everything from file management and print consultation, to Photoshop editing and flatbed scanning.
Intro to Inkjet Printing: $65 for 1 1/2 hours ($50 for Students/Recent Grads)
Learn the basics of a color managed workflow for printing on Epson printers. Covers printer settings, paper handling, file prep, Photoshop print settings, ICC profiles, and basic troubleshooting. Includes two free 8x10 prints.
Intro to Piezography: $65 for 1 1/2 hours ($50 for Students/Recent Grads) (Required certification for use of the Piezography Pro 44" printer)
Learn the basics of Piezography printing. Includes two free 8x10 prints.
Intro to Lightroom: $65 for 1 1/2 hours ($50 for Students/Recent Grads)
Learn the basics of file management in Lightroom.
Submit your tutoring request form here or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details!