Open Call for Artists in Residence
UPDATE (June 22): Thanks to the David C. & Sarajean Ruttenberg Arts Foundation, one of our residents will receive funding! To learn more about this, see our post here. We have adjusted the deadline for applications through Sunday, July 12. There are no changes to the application process itself.
Since August of 2012 LATITUDE has welcomed a wide range of artists to the lab as residents. We've worked alongside these makers, helping them produce work for exhibitions and experiment with our scanners, printers, and other equipment. In turn, residents have generously leant their creative energy to the lab and have participated in open artist talks and panel discussions.
This basic description of the residency program doesn't do it justice. A better way to put it: the residency program is an incredibly generative exchange that exemplifies LATITUDE's ethos of shared learning.
From now through July 12th we have an open call for residency applications! We welcome applications from all types of makers and thinkers who propose to make productive use of the lab. Applications will be reviewed by LATITUDE's board of directors, staff, and several former residents. Selected applicants will be invited for a residency at LATITUDE during the 2015-2016 year. If you are interested in applying for a residency with us, please read all of the following.
- no-cost access to and use of the lab for a continuous period of up to 1 month (minimum 2 weeks)
- project consultation and oversight from the Lab Coordinator
- training on LATITUDE's equipment
- production assistance from Lab Assistants
- 24/7 access to the lab (at the Lab Coordinator's discretion, after an initial training period)
- assistance from the Executive Director in setting up studio visits with curators, writers, and others
Please note that this in an unfunded residency, which places limits on what we can provide. We are fortunate to have good relationships with several vendors and may be able to help solicit a donation of paper or other material, but this isn't something we can guarantee. Residents should be prepared to provide their own paper, glassine, data storage devices, packing materials, etc.
We gladly welcome applications from artists based any/everywhere! Unfortunately, we cannot provide travel assistance or guarantee housing. We may be able to help place artists in low-cost housing with our friends and partners, but accepted applicants should be prepared to arrange their own housing.
- open studio hours when they are available to discuss their projects and practice
- one larger public event (e.g. a workshop, artist's talk, etc.), decided together with the Executive Director
- the donation of one final print to LATITUDE's collection of work by artists in residence
- a commitment to LATITUDE's mission of open, collaborative learning
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a one-page proposal explaining how you will make use of the lab during your residency
- a CV
- a brief bio
- a link to your website
- a selection of up to 10 work samples
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com. We look forward to seeing your applications!